Gamebook store

Friday, 14 April 2017

Rumble in the jungle

A picture is worth a thousand words. More than a thousand when it's by a master artist like Kevin Jenkins. So I'll keep this short. Kev has been madly busy on visual design for the next Star Wars movie - or maybe the next but one - but he cleared some time recently to do a few sketches of the cover for the seventh Fabled Lands book, The Serpent King's Domain. And when I tell you this is one of the designs we rejected, you'll get a hint of how amazing the finished cover is going to look.

Kev says of this one: "Our hero is taking down an attacker while being surprised by a second assailant, below massive jungle waterfalls with temples carved with massive stone faces." Of course we apologized for dragging him away from a galaxy far, far away but he added, "Believe me, after four years on the same subject it was nice to sketch a dragon."

An awesome guy and an awesome talent. We're lucky to have him. And anyway, I'm a Trekker.

6 comments:

  1. ... I didn't even notice there WAS a dragon in the background. Having said that, I always enjoyed the Fabled Lands covers since ti is packed with more than one focuses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that dragon myself at first. And that's one of the reasons we decided against this cover design. Once the title text was put on top, nobody would notice the dragon or the temple.

      Delete
  2. If that's what was rejected, I cannot wait to see the actual cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity it won't be a full triptych like the original cover paintings, but I'm just glad we were able to get Kevin at all.

      Delete
  3. Back in the day I mostly bought the few game books that were translated into Swedish and I probably never even heard about Fabled Lands. So it´s time to remedy that and I just ordered the lot from amazon UK. I have a tendency at the momement to buy books that looks fun but then never getting around to actaully playing them. I don´t think that will be a problem in this case with all the rave reviews in mind and since I´m super curious about finding out how the open ended system works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back and tell us what you think, Mats. It's a shame FL wasn't translated into Swedish back in the '90s... but never say never.

    ReplyDelete