Gamebook store

Friday 21 August 2015

Howdy pardner


The Good, The Bad and The Undead campaign runs on Kickstarter until the end of this month. I could tell you more about it, but why listen to me when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth in this video by Jamie Thomson, co-author of the book?

There's a free demo of the first part of the book by Ashton Saylor, and YouTube games critic Patrick C Worth has put up a playthrough video of that. And here's a profile of Callie MacDonell, the sharpshooting talent behind the GBU artwork.

5 comments:

  1. I have pledged for this, I got the limited printing of the book. I am looking forward to it! I hope we make some more of the stretch goals for more artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't want to be negative, but I love rhe concept of this more than I love the (intended) execution. I suspect I would have preferred it written in the VR series style. Jamie makes cool vids regardless though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie's original intention was to do it using a kind of VR variant system, with character classes providing packages of skills. But don't write off Ashton's approach just yet, Mike. He's done some fantastic work giving the story and characters a depth that's rarely, if ever, been seen in gamebooks before.

      Delete
    2. I was fairly sure I remembered you saying that some months back Dave, and for me at least that would have been the way to go. The VR mechanics work really well, allowing interactivity and characterisation without the tedious combats. It would be great to see it used again.

      But then I also still vainly hope that one day you'll convince Paul Mason to write the one he was going to do, so maybe I'm ever so slightly stuck in the past.

      Delete
    3. I'd like Paul to do that book too, Mike. He's very busy, so it might be another project that has to wait until retirement.

      One thing I can guarantee is that there will be no combat mechanics in GBU. Ashton is describing this as an interactive novel rather than a traditional gamebook, and with good reason.

      Delete